As per the proper definition a Virtual Machine is a software computer that, like a physical computer, it runs an operating system and applications. The virtual machine is comprised of a set of specification and configuration files and is backed by the physical resources of a host. This is the actual meaning of a Virtual Machine. Now lets check this out with Google Cloud Platform. How it works and what it actually provides.
Google App Engine allows you to create Virtual Machines running different operating systems, including multiple flavours of linux(Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, CoreOs, Suse) and Windows Server, on Google infrastructure. You can run thousands of virtual CPUs on a system that has been designed to be fast and to offer strong consistency of performance.
How to create Virtual Machine on Google Cloud Platform
- Firstly you need to simply go to the Google Cloud console.
2. Select the project for creating a virtual machine for it. As in the above i have selected MLAIT. Click on the drop down to get the project details and choose one among them and click on open.
3. Then go to the navigation menu and choose Compute Engine > VM instances.
5. You need to enter a name of your choice for the instance, then select region for the hosting our resources in that specific region. Each region has one or more zones. Most of the regions have three or more. So we need to select the region and the zone accordingly.
6. Select the machine type for the storage and other services. The number of CPUs your instance may need and the RAM usage. Accordingly choose the machine type.
7. Finally we have to choose the boot disk and the firewall. In boot disk you can choose anything of your choice. Their are multiple flavours for it. While coming to the firewall we need to give access accordingly. You can choose allow http traffic or allow https traffic or both.
8. Click on Create.
9. Wait for it to finish. Until it shows the name and a green color mark on your instance name listed in the VM instances page.
This is how we need to create an instance on Google Cloud Platform. This is very first step to do when we use Google Cloud Platform. While not only this, any of the cloud providers have this step as the initial one.