Hey Developer’s, I’m back with a new topic which is Independence Of Events in the series of statistics foundations.
So, let’s get started …
Independence & Dependence Events
If events do not influence one another, they are called independent.
- Successive die rolls or coin flips
- Owning a dog and growing your own herb garden.
- Paying off your mortgage early and owning a Chevy Cavalier.
- Winning the lottery and running out of milk.
- Buying a lottery ticket and finding a penny on the floor (your odds of finding a penny does not depend on you buying a lottery ticket).
- Taking a cab home and finding your favourite movie on cable.
- Getting a parking ticket and playing craps at the casino.
If subsequent events influence one another, they are dependent
- Coloured balls being pulled out of a hat without replacement. The set of possible balls gets reduced as you pull them out so probability changes.
- Robbing a bank and going to jail.
- Not paying your power bill on time and having your power cut off.
- Boarding a plane first and finding a good seat.
- Parking illegally and getting a parking ticket. Parking illegally increases your odds of getting a ticket.
- Buying ten lottery tickets and winning the lottery. The more tickets you buy, the greater your odds of winning.
- Driving a car and getting in a traffic accident.
Next Post will be on Introduction to Probability and Examples
Till then, Stay Connected
Connect with me on :
MLAIT On Twitter: https://twitter.com/mlait1908
MLAIT On Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/mlait1908
MLAIT On Telegram: https://t.me/mlait
MLAIT On WhatsApp: https://chat.whatsapp.com/IDTD8ONgeZw2InepJEKrM7